luni, 22 iulie 2013

Fernandinho joining City

The first big signing of the summer could be the best, according to many experts. The £30m Brazilian midfielder tells FFT where he’s been hiding all these years...

fernandinho

After eight years in Ukraine, what made you move to England?


I chose to move to City because of the greatness of the team and their ambitions to win titles. I know Shakhtar wanted me to stay so much, but in the end they understood my situation and my heart’s desire, and without any doubt they will always be in my heart.

How would you describe yourself as a footballer?


I would say that my good points are very simple: I try to miss the fewest possible passes and be the engine of the team, linking defence to attack. I have a dream to finish a game without misplacing a single pass.

You’ve decided to wear the No.25 shirt. Why is this?


There are two reasons. The first is that as I played with the No.7 shirt at Shakhtar I wanted the number to relate to seven, so I decided to choose 25 because two plus five equals seven! And the other reason is that during contract negotiations for this move, we were all very tense at home as we didn’t know if the transfer would go through. Then one evening my son said: “My father’s shirt number will be 25.” I felt it was an omen.

How excited are you about playing alongside Yaya Toure?


Very. He is an excellent player, his record speaks for itself and I’m sure I will learn a lot from him. I think City’s squad is full of great players who understand football.

Who are your footballing idols?


When I was a child I was a great fan of the Brazilian goalkeeper, Taffarel. And because of him I wanted to be a goalkeeper too. But, thank God, my father did not let me and made sure I only played with my feet! Football is in my family’s blood: they all love football and my father and my uncles always played, but did not become professionals. I have played football since the age of two, so my mother tells me.

Atletico Paranaense was your first club – what are your memories of your time there?


Atletico was a spectacular club, with a great working structure – it was an excellent club for young players and they have exceptional fans. I had three perfect years playing for that team. A lesson I will never forget is when I was 14 and wanted to leave the training centre and go back to live with my parents, which would mean losing my place at the club and possibly my career, but the team’s president did not let me take this decision and convinced me to stay. And it’s worked out well since!

Have you always played as a central midfielder?


When I passed the trial for my first youth team, Centro de Treinamento de Futebol do Parana, aged 13, I played with older players and the coach put me on the right wing. For a long time I played in that position – even at Atletico, when I first turned professional, I played there sometimes. You moved to Ukraine aged 20.

What made you go?


Initially what grabbed my attention was the financial part, because the difference in salary to what I was earning in Brazil was huge. But it was the best decision I ever made. I learned about another culture and its customs, and it made me grow a lot. My football evolved tactically and technically as well. When I look back, I’m happy that everything went well in those eight years.

How did you cope with the change?


The first few months were not difficult. It was still summer in Europe, meaning I could adapt slowly. What I had to get used to was the kind of training and language. I did not understand a word that was said to me! In supermarkets, I wanted to ask about foods, but couldn’t. On the pitch, the training workouts were more demanding than I’d been used to. Physical contact was constant and sometimes we had fights. But all this was part of the learning curve, and everybody grew up together there.

What’s your proudest achievement?


The first time I was chosen as the player of the season for Shaktar in 2008 – that was fantastic for me. Winning the UEFA Cup in 2009 and the last four domestic league titles, where we played really well, were all big achievements too.

So what’s the aim at City?


To win everything possible. I want to see the supporters smile and cheer... that is my greatest wish.

How’s your English coming along?


I am about to start English classes to learn as quickly as possible. But right now I can communicate in Spanish without problems.

Have you ever eaten fish and chips – England’s most famous food?


Not yet, but I’m curious to try. I really love Brazilian food: rice, beans and red meat.

Finally, Manchester has a great musical heritage. Have you heard of Oasis, who support City?


I hadn’t before, but after doing a bit of research I found out they were one of the best bands of the ’90s! I prefer quiet music: it helps me focus.





http://www.ukbettips.co.uk/images/stiri_lume/august-2013/fernandinho-man-city.jpg via ukbettips.co.uk http://www.ukbettips.co.uk/football-betting-news/4955-fernandinho-joining-city.html

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu